Monday, January 9, 2012

better at projects than posts...that should count

I've actually been quite crafty since my last post,
just not diligent with my crafty blog.
Let's catch up.

First I came up with a good use
for two of the old doors
that came out of the back hall remodel.

I had been contemplating something new
for displaying my necklaces at shows.

cut down the doors
remove the knobs
pull out my favorite paper, scraps and maps
 and the white glue/water mixture
and
voila!

I added corkboard to the other side
and then hinged it together.

Here it is in action
at The Handmade Market!
*************************************
*************************************

Then there was the pillow for Piper.

I got out the fabric samples that Holli had given me
from when she worked for an Interior Designer

I began by cutting squares and rectangles
out of the samples
and sewed them together.
As I got closer to the overall pillow size
I had to sort of work it like a puzzle.

side one

side two

The pillow insert is a very used insert from a chair.
That's what led me to make this in the first place.
My favorite chair and a half had lousy pillow inserts.
I finally purchased some great feather inserts.
I couldn't just toss the old ones!
They looked sort of flat and even split in the center.
But, for some reason it just looked like a comfy doggie pillow to me!

look at those sad pillow inserts
before...

after...
one happy Piper!
*************************************
*************************************
Next up
 the paper poms
*
Oh, the paper poms
who knew the paper poms would be tricky to make?
certainly not I.

I had this great idea to make paper poms
for decorations for a
Bridal shower I was hosting 
for my dear friend
Alison.
My friends and co-hosts 
Becca and Libby
got in on the fun.
My first shock was that the flowers would turn out so large!
For some reason, I thought they were going to be 
these small little flowers that would turn into
a garland.
They could have been,
but as we tried them
we found out that the smaller the flower
the harder it was to work

First you cut a width of tissue paper
about the same size as what you want
the finished diameter of your pom to be.

Libby had just folded her purple paper accordion style
and was adding the floral wire.
We followed the directions
on 

I worked on the green poms.
We rounded some of the ends
as shown on Martha Stewart.
Some of them we trimmed to a point.

 Becca worked on an orange one
with rounded ends,
Carefully pulling layers
of tissue out from
each end.

Here is a green pom in progress.

The funny thing is that we thought
our poms were awful at the time!
Looking at these photos now...
They were actually
some pretty great poms!
No one can see the torn pieces here and there!

The holidays came and went
and
it was time to use our tissue paper poms
for the shower.
Our original plan of a garland
was replaced with
this awesome bunch of flowers
hanging
from a light fixture.
Cheers for Libby
and that idea!
If you look closely
you will see 
additional flower poms made of tulle.
They were made on the spot
out of lots of loops.
It was the perfect filler.

I know that I learned more than just a new craft
with this little project.
Three capable artists
thought they could whip through
this little project.
When the tissue paper
started tearing,
the frustration level
starting growing.
We expected perfection
from the start.
But, after a few hours
and a lot of laughs,
it turned out
we made some
pretty nice
tissue paper poms!
Thanks Becca and Libby
for the memory!
*************************************
*************************************

And finally,
the sweetest project of all...
Footprint pictures with "the greats"
I like to call my great nieces and nephew
"the greats"
After all,
they are pretty
G R E A T
!!!
We spent part of the holidays
with family in Des Moines this year.
That gave us the priceless opportunity
to hang out
with 
the greats!
We searched Pinterest for a project idea.
Made a few creative additions of our own.
And here is how it went.

Camryn
Sat perfectly still
not one bit ticklish.

Gage
Super ticklish!

Hayden
Another ticklish one.
It was a challenge
to keep those toes
out of the green paint!

This one was Camryn's.
I added the star.
Holli added the trunk.

And for our crafty addition
to these mini masterpieces.
Holli added song lyrics.
Camryn's and Gage's
Auntie Carol and cousin Emma
wrapped them up
to surprise
some happy parents.

T H A T
was a fun afternoon!
I
L O V E
my greats!

***********************************
***********************************

1 comment:

  1. i love all of these projects! great work crafty lolo :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...