Friday, April 13, 2012

Paris and Pooh

How does a dear friend's 50th birthday slip by so quickly?
There was that surprise party in early November.
That's when I thought I still had plenty of time to make a special gift.
Then Thanksgiving AND the actual birthday
came and went.
then Christmas.
then New Year's.
Suddenly months have slipped by and all I had was a blank canvas
and some ideas.

I decided the canvas should represent all the 50th birthday celebrations that she had been blessed with.
a trip to Paris with her husband.
a trip to the Azores with her high school friends.
the surprise party.
and Pooh.
Pooh was important because she loves Pooh
and so do I.
The phrase I chose makes me think
of an imagined conversation
between she and I.
You see, I don't just slap paint on a canvas.
I put my heart on the canvas.
Here's how it went



I started with Gesso and bubble wrap for some 'behind the scenes' texture
I layered color until I liked what I saw.
I accented the dots made by the gesso/bubble wrap with color.
I added embroidery floss for the stem of the flower.
I cut out my stamped words so I could try the layout of the quote in different positions.
until I liked what I saw.
when I liked what I saw,
I stopped.

when I gave it to her she didn't realize that I had made it.
she was amazed that I had found something with
Paris
and
Pooh.

Best
Compliment
Ever.

Happy Birthday dear friend. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...